Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Sailing Past the Sirens

Ulysses and the Sirens, by H. J. Draper

Come this way, honored Odysseus, great glory of the Achaians, and stay your ship, so that you can listen here to our singing; for no one else has ever sailed past this place in his black ship until he has listened to the honey-sweet voice that issues from our lips. --The Odyssey, Book XII

Meditation can be categorized in many different ways. In my practice, I do what some would call mindfulness meditation, an umbrella term that includes focus meditation, transcendental meditation, vipassana, and open meditation. In mindfulness meditation, the meditator can focus on something, for example, a mantra, the breath, a candle flame, or a mandala. Or, the meditator can just open to the present experience. During mindfulness meditation, perceptions arise, either external, such as sounds, or internal, such as thoughts. The meditator opens to the perception and releases it. If the meditator is using a focus of meditation, the meditator returns the attention to the object of focus. Mindfulness meditation has no goal; the meditator simply experiences each moment.

When Odysseus sailed past the Sirens, he had his crew plug their ears with wax, but he had himself bound to the mast with unstopped ears, so that he could hear their singing. In mindfulness meditation, my commitment to my practice binds me to my seat, and I listen to the singing of my thoughts and emotions. The allegory breaks down when I am swept up by the inner song. But unlike Odysseus and his crew, I can swim back to my ship and try again, over and over. This continual return is the practice. There is no purpose other than to experience whatever happens.

There is nothing wrong with using other kinds of meditation for other ends. Guided meditation steers you through some scenario to achieve some purpose. Augmented meditation uses special sounds, such as binaural beats, to help you achieve some particular state of consciousness. But these other types of meditation are not a replacement for mindfulness meditation. Since mindfulness meditation is all about remaining present with whatever comes up, it develops and strengthens the ability to remain present in everyday life, when you’re not meditating.

Much has been written about meditation. Heck, I’ve even written about it—Meditation 101, Meditation and Compassion, Whole Lotta Nothing, and Greeting My Experience. In general, simpler is better. I like the way Peter Russell teaches meditation; he emphasizes simplicity and ease. Peter's writing and videos would be a good way for anyone to learn meditation.

No comments: